Tuesday, November 15, 2011

STEWART ISLAND



Stewart Island is located off the southern tip New Zealand. It is wild, and unspoiled. I was there last February and after a rather hectic week I felt in need of quiet solitude.  I spent the week-end reliving the experience through photographs I’d taken searching for subjects to paint. 

It is a natural paradise and a haven for wildlife. A guided walk on Ulva  Island a protected nature reserve in Half Moon Bay in heavy rain promised a sighting of South Island Kiwis which are not nocturnal. I think the rain must have kept them under cover but one flightless bird did present itself. A Weka  which was browsing in the bush just a few feet away from the footpath and quite unconcerned by the walking party.

For this sketch I’ve used Liquitex Acrylic on Canson pastel paper.

No comments: